How to Earn the Rank of Tenderfoot
Pages 32-33, 438-439 of the Boy Scout Handbook
- Present yourself to your leader, properly dressed, before going on an overnight camping trip. Show the camping gear you will use. Show the right way to pack and carry it.
- Spend at least 1 night on a patrol or troop camp out. Sleep in a tent you have pitched on a ground bed you have prepared.
- Demonstrate the following:
- How to whip and fuse the ends of a rope.
- Tying two half hitches and a tautline hitch.
- Explain the rules of safe hiking, both on the highway and cross country, during the day and at night. Explain what to do if you are lost.
- Demonstrate how to display, raise, lower and fold the American flag.
- Repeat from memory and explain in your own words:
- Know your patrol name, give the patrol yell and describe the patrol flag.
- Explain why we use the buddy system in scouting.
- Record your best in the following tests:
- Standing long jump
- Run/walk 500 yards
- After 30 Days show imporvement in the above tests.
- Identify local poisonous plants; tell how to treat for exposure to them.
- Demonstrate the Heimlich manuever and tell when it is used.
- Show first aid for the following:
- Simple cuts and scratches
- Blisters on the hand and foot
- Minor burns and scalds (first degree)
- Bites or stings of insects and ticks
- Poisinous snakebite
- Frostbite and sunburn
- Participate in a Scoutmaster conference.
- Complete the board of review.
Advancement for Lone Scouts